How to build a reusable litter tray for ScoopFree

ScoopFree is an automatic box designed to be used with Fresh Step Crystals instead of regular litter

How to build a reusable litter tray for ScoopFree

Postby tbhausen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:54 pm

I think it would be very easy to build a reusable tray from Coroplast. Coroplast is the material most outdoor yard signs are made from; it's basically the waterproof plastic equivalent of corrugated cardboard. I'd use book binder's tape to hold the parts together. Just cut out bottom and side/end parts and tape it all together inside and out. Then make the turd receptacle lid and hinge it with the same tape. Stick-on magnets shouldn't be hard to find, or can be cannibalized from a refill prior to disposal. I'll definitely be looking into this if I go with the ScoopFree. It looks like a great concept, but the refills are just so darn expensive for multi-cat households. I called to inquire about the "subscription service" but believe it or not, there isn't any price break at all--it's just a convenience (mostly for the seller). I hope Lucky Litter, LLC will reconsider that policy. The ingenuitive public can be pretty resourceful in such situations ;)

Todd/Indy

Todd/Indy
tbhausen
New User

Postby abbeytoo » Mon May 01, 2006 1:51 am

That is exactly what I made. It was kind of a pain to make the flap work right because of the nature of the coroplast. I also need stronger magnets to get the top to pick it up as far as it needs to. Until I get the magnets, I have just cut a piece of coroplast the size of the bottom and simply laid it in the tray as a liner. Works perfect to protect the bottom of the tray from cat claws tearing up the cardboard allowing it to get wet, stinky, and fall apart.

With 3 cats, those refills do not last 30 days! Not at my house anyway, and I have 2 boxes. I think I changed it at about 3 weeks.

Great box, works without a hitch so far.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby Walter's Owner » Mon May 01, 2006 9:01 am

I have the exact measurements for plexiglass pieces plus the brand of glue that will work well but the cost is almost prohibitive to order the pieces pre cut. Cutting it yourself is not an option unless you have a laser sighted table saw with special saw blade.

I will have a dozen cartridges soon and will probably look into glazing one of them with some sort of waterproof plaster.
Walter's Owner
Valued Contributor

Postby jeff » Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 am

I was thinking about fiberglass. But it would be a pain, not to mention a mess... There are also some low temperature plastics available to hobbyists. Micro-Mark has some interesting stuff. I haven't seen their catalog in years but I am sure they are still around...
jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Walter's Owner » Mon May 01, 2006 12:33 pm

It would be nice to hear from the company about what they think about this.
Walter's Owner
Valued Contributor

Postby abbeytoo » Mon May 01, 2006 5:37 pm

I'd be willing to bet they think our ideas about making our own trays, stinks! They want us to buy their refills.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby Walter's Owner » Mon May 01, 2006 11:36 pm

THIS is how you do it folks:

http://www.sanitred.com/basicproducts.htm
Walter's Owner
Valued Contributor

Postby abbeytoo » Wed May 10, 2006 9:26 am

Walter's Owner wrote:THIS is how you do it folks:

http://www.sanitred.com/basicproducts.htm

er..how you do WHAT exactly?? lets see the pictures of yours!
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Return to ScoopFree