replacement gear - pan rotator

The Simply Clean sifts litter slowly and continuously. Talk about it here.

replacement gear - pan rotator

Postby militarymedic23 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Hello,
Bought this unit around late jan - feb. Works really well so far but unnoticed be me was a small amount of litter getting all the way down into the plastic gear assembly for the pan rotation. The motor is still fine but once I did a royal cleaning of the area and the plastic gear, it appears to be skipping. The plastic gear was worn down a bit on the tips of the teeth from how impacted the gearbox was. The sound I hear when the tray is trying to turn with litter in is quite recognizable as gear teeth skipping. Appears to be turning reasonably well at the moment, but the plastic gear probably won't hold up too much longer. Would think this would be a very cheap part to replace but I'm not too sure if the support dept would agree...
I did send an email to the support center for this asking about the particular part which should be replaced.

So, would any folks on here be able to comment on options for this if the support dept isn't willing to settle for anything less than shipping the entire unit back?

Thanks
militarymedic23
New User

Re: replacement gear - pan rotator

Postby militarymedic23 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:26 pm

If I could add to my own post, I just talked to the petsafe support line and they don't offer that gear as user replaceable. But she did say quite a few people have asked about the exact same thing.

I would be interested in how many people have had issues with this gear and if anybody is interested in an option to buy that specific part. I have ties to a milling company who could make a duplicate of the gear (plastic, aluminum, steel etc) for a considerably low price if enough people are interested.
militarymedic23
New User

Postby HurricaneWolf » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 pm

I am also a current owner to one of these machines and I would love to hear about a resolution behind the issues with the gear and pan rotator just wearing down too much. If at all possible I would love to invest a little bit of funding to get one made in metal and or aluminum so let me know as soon as you can if I can get a hold of one of these at a reasonable offerb :)
HurricaneWolf
New User

Postby militarymedic23 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 pm

I didn't see very much interest in this so the idea of getting a CAD setup of the gear is more or less a good idea at this point. I prefer to fix things like this when I can but it seems the cheapest option right now is to send the unit back in for a free replacement if still within the 1 year period. Suppose we can only hope machines arriving to them in decent condition are cannibalized for parts/recycled vs tossed out.
militarymedic23
New User

Postby mlatter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I just took mine apart today to see why it was no longer turning the pan, and it appears that this gear is at least parially stripped. The gear housiong was completely full of fine dust from the litter which is what I think was causing the issue. I'd be interested in a metal gear if you're running off a batch at some point.

Murray
mlatter
New User

Postby mlatter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:42 pm

I just took mine apart because the pan wasn't rotating. Same issue as others have posted. Lots of dust in the gear assembly, and the teeth are worn down quite a bit. After a cleaning, it is working again, but I am sure it's temporary. If you're going to do a run of metal gears, count me in.

Thanks,

Murray
mlatter
New User

Postby militarymedic23 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm

The story is still the same. The two of us are the only ones interested so the cost of this idea would be way too high.
militarymedic23
New User

Postby mlatter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 am

Sorry for the double post - I didn't read the warning about moderator approval.

Well, if anything changes in the future, I have it set up to notify me by email of this thread becomes active again.

Thanks!
mlatter
New User

Postby lofar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 am

Same problem... I agree the best solution would be a metal gear instead of the crummy plastic one. Though I am now considering a different type of box, this one only lasted about 5 months before the gear gave out. I think the problem here is also the fact that the sides are not high enough and the base is setup perfectly so that it can collect litter and create this problem.
lofar
New User

Postby militarymedic23 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 pm

I just received my replacement box and decided to go a little nuts to try and prevent the litter collecting in the base.
What I did was to take a 3mil sheet of plastic and create a skirt around the pan. Anchored it on the floating top plastic piece with duct tape and folded it up underneath the base and secured that with duct tape too. As far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be an easy way for litter to get past that but we'll see.

Also, the support guys hinted to the fact that a newer model of the this unit will be out in the next 6 months. They are fully aware of the types of problems users have experienced (like this) but they didn't say what exact changes will be in place. So if you send in for a replacement in the next few months they may send you a newer design.
militarymedic23
New User

Postby mlatter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:37 am

I was going to look at an option like that as well. Glad to hear that you may have a solution - I'll give it a try if I get a new pan rotator gearbox.

Does anyone know if you can just buy the pan rotator gear assembly?

Thanks
mlatter
New User

Postby militarymedic23 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 am

Unless you can find that exact gear on your own, petsafe doesn't offer individual components.
militarymedic23
New User

Postby ps0yrz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I had exactly the same problem. Although that gear was worn-down a bit, i discovered it in time and could limit the damage.

This was only after 6 months of use or so! I contacted petsafe and overstock.com but they wouldn't send me a replacement part, nor offer any warranty. After i cleaned that gear it still seemed to operate, so i decided not to take further action...

Now, after 1.5 years, the other gearbox started grinding and broke down after a week or so. (this is the gearbox of the transporter)

The warranty is 3 years, so i contacted Overstock.com again... Overstock send me to petsafe... petsafe told me I had no warranty since I was an international customer and it was 'illegal' to ship it to other countries because of FCC regulations.

But because i'm from the netherlands, my only option was to buy the unit from overstock.com. The unit normally is 100 dollar or less. However, in euros its suddenly 90 euros ( 118 dollar). Also the shipping/handling was 58 euros. (65 dollars) So i paid 194 dollars for something that normally is 100.

After their no-warranty reaction, I replied with a lenghty mail, asking critical questions about WHY overstock was allowed to sell me the (now "illegal") unit in the first place, and WHY they never told me I didnt have warranty.

After that, without repsonding to my questions, they told me to ship the unit to engeland (another 26 euro/34 dollar), and they they would pay me back the 90 euro. (118 dollar)

So instead of sending me a replacement, they 'limited' my damage to 84 euro (110 dollar) instead of the full 194 dollars.

Safe to say i'm NOT happy with this situation. The product just has a bad build quality. Dont get me wrong: it works perfectly (if you use the right kind of litter), but the gears are just cheap plastic shit that break down too easy. I cant imagine any of these devices can run for 3 years 24/7!

I wouldn't mind if they just made the warranty one year and offer me a way to buy new parts for a normal price, but thats probably too much hassle for a big company that just wants to sell units. They should just allow a reseller to sell parts on ebay or something..

Edwin
ps0yrz
New User

Postby ps0yrz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 am

Update: It seems petsafe repsonded and is willing to send the parts to a friend of me in the USA, free of charge!

I'll keep you posted.

Edwin
ps0yrz
New User

Postby aspork42 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:45 pm

The gear has gone kaput on my litter box after only about 5 months :(
I'm going to call and complain, but in the meantime, has anyone had any luck with getting a replacement gear?

- James O
aspork42
New User

Next

Return to PetSafe Simply Clean