Replacing the adaptor

Do you own a LitterMaid self-cleaning box? Share your tips and tricks!

Replacing the adaptor

Postby reptile93 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:07 pm

One of our degus destroyed the littermaid power cable, so now we are shopping for a new adaptor. Tips, tricks? We bought one but it doesn't have enough milliamps, so now we're back to shopping.
reptile93
Valued Contributor

Postby jeff » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:53 am

Radio Shack sells universal wall warts with "adapt-a-plug" fittings to connect to just about any device. It's a bit of a hack but you'll be up and running quickly; just make sure you get the polarity correct.

If you want something without adapters, visit Electronic Parts Outlet on Fondren; They almost certainly have one that will work.

For mail/web order, Digi-Key, Mouser Electronics, Jameco, JDR Microdevices, and Parts Express all have a wide variety of power supplies. You might even find a steal on one in surplus inventory at places like Halted Specialties or Marlin P. Jones [mpja.com] ...

You will need the same voltage, >= current rating, with the same plug diameter & length & polarity.
jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a simialr problem, but need some help.

Postby dcharrison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:28 am

My cats chewed through the cord on the original power supply. I bought an adjustable power supply that will work, but need to make sure I have polarity right and I can't find it on either the litter maid itself or in the manual for it. I am assuming it was on the old power supply, which is long gone.

Can you tell me if it should be set to positive or negative, please?
dcharrison
New User

Postby jhe » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:38 pm

Mine is marked as + on center and - on the outer part.
jhe
Valued Contributor

Negative or positive

Postby dcharrison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:59 pm

According to the sheet that came with the adjustable adapter - it will look like 1 of these:

- @ + = positive

or

+ @ - = negative

Thanks!
dcharrison
New User

Postby jeff » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:32 pm

The sheet that came with your adapter is using terminology that isn't accepted by electricians or engineers. :roll:

According to jhe, it's center-positive. (In other words, the center of the plug is +) Adjust the switch on your adapter likewise, and you're set.
jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adjusting switch

Postby dcharrison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:46 pm

I can't adjust a switch - this adapter determines if it is positive or negative by which way you plug the plugs into it. I have it set for positive and it is working, but I don't know if it will burn up on me that way.

Thanks for trying to help! All Applica wanted to do was give me a phone # to call & order a new one.
dcharrison
New User

Postby jeff » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:48 pm

Just FYI, it can't be positive or negative. It has to be both. All you are changing is whether positive is in the center and negative is on the outside of the plug, or vice-versa. I imagine it would only work one way, so I would not worry about it burning up as long as the output voltage from your adapter is the same as the LM expects.

Are you using the Radio Shack adaptaplug? Did you save the P/N of the plug itself? If so, please post it.

Thanks
jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brand adapter

Postby dcharrison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:05 pm

No - this isn't the one from Radio Shack. I actually bought it at a store called Alco that is part of the Ben Franklin family of stores for about $16.00. They had 2 to chose from and I chose the one that said it could run TV's & such - so it has the 12V setting & has 3 "pigtails" with 4 varieties of adapter plugs on each.

I do believe the packaging got thrown out when the trash was picked up this week & right now I have the grandchildren and a vehicle that I can't fit all 3 into - but I can check on this within a few days and let you know what it would be.

Thanks for your help - then I won't worry about whether I have it right anymore!
dcharrison
New User

I misspoke!

Postby dcharrison » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:35 pm

I do have the packaging from it - it is a Philips Magnavox Universal AS adapter - 1000mA # PM62065 - there is a picture of it here: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/6079-6509_16-30828798.html
dcharrison
New User

Postby antonw » Sun May 21, 2006 2:43 pm

I live in the netherlands and bought a new model littermaid from a guy who ordered this from the US.

The original adapter does not work here so he bought a universal adapter and used it with the follwing settings:

- 12V
- 300mA
- inside of plug is "-" outside "+"

Although the littermaid seems to function correctly and has enough power to not get stuck I was wondering if the incorrect mA could harm the motor.
Sometimes I notice that the red light flashes when the rake encounters more heavy parts to rake, probably because it is underpowered.

If the rake has enough power and underpowering is not harmfull is there another good reason in buying a 12V/1000mA for this littermaid?

I already destroyed a previous littermaid (new model) by overpowering it with a 15V/1000mA adapter. This caused the repeat mechanisme from functioning and destroyed the wheels on the side (it got stuck and kept on running for day, this destroyed all the 'teeth' of the wheels).

Thanks for your help,

Anton
antonw
New User

Re: Replacing the adaptor

Postby Digby » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm

So I have read 12v 1a and use the 18/24v radio shack part. I have the littermaid plus and can't really afford to replace it just now. I bought it secondhand without the power supply with the advice that it would take me 'ten seconds online' before I could find the power supply. This has been the most frustrating day of research.
I called the company and got the recording that never gets picks up; I read the manual that is suspiciously bereft of actually technical specs and now I'm here. Could someone please have mercy on me and just tell me what the OEM power supplyfor a littermaid plus is. Please.
Thank you in advance....
Digby
New User

Postby reptile93 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Digby, I don't have a LM anymore so I don't have the info you need. But it should be on the original adapter for your LM. That is where I got the info.
reptile93
Valued Contributor

Postby mmcl26554 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

The original power supply for the Littermaid is A/C. Since the circuit has it's own rectifier an A/C adapter is best. I built my own power supply, I had several 12 volt transformers with 2 amp output. Since the littermaid can draw 1.5 amp under full load the 1 amp power supply is really to low power. I mounted the transformer in a box and connected a cable with the appropriate end on it to plug into the littermaid. I discovered the rake moves with a great deal more power with this higher amp supply and has made the LM work much better. It has never gotten stuck and timed out. If the load it to great for the first pass it always clears it on the second. LM really should provide it with a 2 amp supply. BTW, I have a waterer with a pump in it to make a fountain for the cats it also uses a 12 volt A/C supply so I wired another connector to the same transformer and it runs both just great.
Michael
mmcl26554
New User

Return to LitterMaid