Question about taping of the holes on the steps...

Share what you know (or what you'd like to know) about the Litter-Robot

Question about taping of the holes on the steps...

Postby seaghdha71 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 am

I've had the LRII for about two months and absolutely love it. Some of my 5 cats took to it within a week but two of them I had to acclimate them very very slowly, so just yesterday after almost two months I finally threw out my last conventional litter box and strictly use just the LR. It is great not to scoop anymore! Anyhow, I am very good at washing the inside of globe weekly with wipes and alcohol, as well as wash out the litter drawer weekly the same way, and even spray with Lysol, however after these two months have gone by I occasionally can smell the waste drawer some times so I was thinking of taping up the holes on the step, so my question is this.....

For you people who have done this... is duct tape better or packing tape? Do you find that the cats don't mind the smooth texture of it? Or slip when they step up on it? I don't want to do anything to make them not like using it after it took such a long weaning process to get them ALL using it faithfully. Plus the shape of the step itself is a little hard to tape horizontally, do you just tape it patchwork~ pieces overlapping? And if so, do you have to change it periodically if any of them pee over the edge?

If anyone who tapes up the step could take a moment to respond what they have done I would truly appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance!

Shea
seaghdha71
New User

Re: Question about taping of the holes on the steps...

Postby bgd6 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 am

I've had a LRII for approx. 5 months now. Only 1 of my two cats uses it but that is better than nothing.

I've read to help eliminate odor from the collection drawer, to put activated charcoal chips in the bottom of the drawer and/or bag you put in. I went to my local pet store and bought a package of charcoal (chips) they use for aquarium filters. So far, so good.

As for filling in the holes on the step . . . not sure I would want to gunk up that entire surface with adhesive residue from tape. IF you feel you must close up the holes, I would try putting a dab of latex caulk or something like that in a couple holes first to see how that works. If you don't like it, you can just dig out the caulk and you're back to where you started from.

Barbara
Sebastian & Miss Minnie
bgd6
Valued Contributor

Postby spaceshare » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:54 pm

I covered the holes in the step with clear plastic and just taped it to the underside of the step. I probably cut the material from a clear plastic sack. Its been fine... have had it on there for about a year... I probably should recover it for beauty's sake. The cats likely didn't notice.
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby sstewa22 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:05 pm

I covered the step with pretty blue and white sticky drawer liner and then covered that with packing tape. The cats didn't notice the difference. I was getting very tired of shaking litter out the holes. I have one male cat that doesn't turn around when he pees, I just found out about the "fence" and ordered one from Litter-Robot. Hope it works.

Sherril
3 cats
sstewa22
New User

Return to Litter-Robot