natures miracle

Debate the pros and cons of the various boxes and discuss other automated litter attendants here

natures miracle

Postby runt » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:22 am

is it really a miracle? do you generally have to apply it more than once to get smells out of a carpet?
runt
Valued Contributor

Postby abbeytoo » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:39 pm

Just my opinion: it would be a miracle if it really, really, really got the smell out. I have used gallons of the stuff. My cats can smell pee 10 miles away even if the area was treated with NM.

I use stuff called odorcide from some janitorial/commercial cleaning site. I am more pleased with this than NM.

Others swear by NM.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby waffull » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:46 am

I'm one of those who swear by NM. Although, I have to admit I have only had to use it to clean up dog pee, not cat pee.

I would say it truely is a miracle. The key is to soak up all the pee that's there. Use some NM to clean the area with a brush and/or paper towels. Then 'soak' the area and let it air dry.

Soaking it allows NM to do whatever it does with the urine that has soaked up into the mat below the carpeting, which is usually where the smells come from after you clean the surface. It can take a week or more for the spot to completely dry, but I have found that it works about 99% of the time very well. And the 1% you just have to go thru the procedure again.
waffull
New User

Postby runt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:54 am

i used nm for a few months, one of my dogs has accidents in the house (why? i dunno he has a dang dog door, i think he's just too lazy to go outside sometimes) but i found it really didnt get the smell out no matter how much i poured on, and its pretty expensive for having to use so much at a time. so i went back to petsmart and tried petzyme and wow this stuff works like 100 times better than natures miracle AND its only 12 bucks! with the petzyme i pour a bunch on and let it air dry and can get down on my hands and knees and sniff the carpet and not smell anything! (i always smelled stuff still lingering with the natures miracle). so if nm isnt workin for you, i recommend trying out petzyme!
runt
Valued Contributor

Nature's Miracle

Postby Justjen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:02 pm

I've never had any luck with NM, I use Simple Solutions and have tremendous success with it. I was told by several long-time NM users that someone bought the company and changed the formula and it isn't as effective as it used to be.

I vote for Simple Solutions!! I shampoo my carpets with it, and use about a gallon a month with raising kittens in my cattery.
Justjen
New User

Postby Jacobine » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:09 pm

I really like Simple Solution, too. When I moved, I had all sorts of stains on my carpet (in an apartment), so I cleaned it with the stuff. Amazing. I need to get some more to treat the carpet now, in fact, since my male dog is pretty reliable, but sometimes he decides he has to label things as his....

Might look into the PetZyme, too. I'm always on the lookout for new carpet cleaners.
Jacobine
New User

Nature's Miracle

Postby JD » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:52 am

Watch it with this stuff!!!! When it says test it on an inconspicuous place do so with extreme care and let some serious time go by!! I "tested" it on one of my rugs (a 1920s wool carpet, handmade in China...). It looked great 24 hours later (it had dried), so I launched into the mitigation ...Three weeks later, everywhere I had used it (The whole left edge of the carpet, all 11 feet of it) had turned from its original pale mauvish taupe to a bronzy yellowish green. The (very valuable) carpet was absolutely ruined. No amount of rinsing helped. I sent it to the pros. They washed it and brushed it, etc. No luck. No change. A permanent mess.

I had better luck with Unique Pet Odor and Stain Eliminator on my wool carpets. No weird color changes and no bleaching.

Be very careful about any product you are going to put on a rug/carpet or on a piece of expensively upholtered furniture. From my experience, testing the product means testing it and letting it sit for at least a week before you decide its safe.
JD
New User

Postby enghorn » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:46 pm

I did not have much luck with Natures Miracle.

I have, however, had GREAT SUCCESS with a product called Pet Force.

You mix the concentrate with warm water, absolutely saturate the area, then cover it with a wet towel (to keep it wet). Leave it covered for 24 hours, rewetting the towel if it gets dry. After 24 hours, remove the towel and allow the area to dry.

We had very stubborn urine odor in our thick carpet and thick padding. I tried many things that did not do the trick. The Pet Force worked great. It did take a few repeats of the entire process, but each time the smell was dramatically reduced until it was gone!

I was initially afraid to keep it so wet for so long. I was worried about mildew growing (that is a big problem whenever we have the carpet cleaned and it is damp for a day). However, because the Pet Force is its own organism which feeds on organic bacteria, it apparently gobbled up any possible mildew with the urine.

I have since found this product to be great for other carpet stains too. The next time cat barf created a big dark stain on the carpet, all I did was lightly wipe it with a wet rag and then proceeded with the above treatment on the spot. The next morning the dark stain on our light carpet had vanished!

This product was recommended to me by the animal behaviorist we contacted when our cat started peeing all over the house. I just googled Pet Force and bought it on line. If you try this product for removing urine smell, I will reiterate what I discovered through trial and error: fully saturate the entire area---I mean it should be very squishy! Then cover it and keep it very wet for a full 24 hours. After that, it can take a few days to dry completely but once it does, you will notice a big improvement!

I hope you try it.
enghorn
New User

Postby kozmocat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:57 am

Another similar product is Anti-Icky-Poo:
http://www.antiickypoo.com

I know quite a few people that use it and are thrilled with it. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet. When my girl decides the litter box isn't clean enough for her, she uses the throw rug in the bathroom. I can throw that in the washer and clean the floor underneath so it's not a big problem for me.
kozmocat
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby enghorn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeah, it looks like a very similar product. I think it would not be as cost effective though because with the Pet Force you buy a concentrate and dilute it with warm water. I loved being able to fully saturate the area without worry of using up all of the product so soon.

On the other hand, I loved the injector accessory. I think I will buy one. Perhaps a tool like that would make repeating the process unecessary. Also, maybe one wouldnt have to saturate the area quite so thoroughly and it would still penetrate deep enough.

Thanks kosmocat!

PS Abbeytoo: I always respect your suggestions, so I googled the odorcide. How do you use that product? Does it have to stay wet like the one I have used?
enghorn
New User

Postby enghorn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:41 pm

Well, my syringe arrived today and I just did another treatment with Pet Force. I am totally ecxited about it! The syringe is amazing! It must be for an elephant or something--HUGE! Anyway, I finally feel that I have been able to get the product where it needs to go to do its job. I injected about 6 cups of diluted Pet Force concentrate into a 2 square foot area until it was saturated enough from the bottom up that the surface felt wet. Yes, it took that much! I am sure that this will finally get that last bit of urine smell out.
enghorn
New User

Pine Sol

Postby storm0075 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:12 am

I have never tried this on carpet but I have used it on clothing. I had a sick cat at one time and you just added a little to the wash when you were washing and it took the smell right out. I'm sure it could be used on carpets as well. Just dilute it and let it soak then rub it out.
storm0075
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby abbeytoo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:46 pm

enghorn wrote:Yeah, it looks like a very similar product. I think it would not be as cost effective though because with the Pet Force you buy a concentrate and dilute it with warm water. I loved being able to fully saturate the area without worry of using up all of the product so soon.

On the other hand, I loved the injector accessory. I think I will buy one. Perhaps a tool like that would make repeating the process unecessary. Also, maybe one wouldnt have to saturate the area quite so thoroughly and it would still penetrate deep enough.

Thanks kosmocat!

PS Abbeytoo: I always respect your suggestions, so I googled the odorcide. How do you use that product? Does it have to stay wet like the one I have used?

Hi Eng, sorry bout the delay, I just saw this.

The odorcide is a concetrate also. Mix with warm water and saturate etc. The biggest problem with the cleaners that you have to soak the area and let it air dry is. (well, aside from the horrible problem of ruined carpet that JD had!) when you locate the stink area and you pour the liquid on it, you are going to have a wicking action take place. The original spot of yuck will grow and grow and grow wider-it will get weaker as it expands out, but it will be there. Seems like the only real way to 100% eliminate the odor would be to flood your whole floor with the stuff! lol Not very practical.

I solved my problem by ripping up all of the stinky cruddy carpet and throwing it in the garbage and replaced it with those horrible vinyl tiles that can be removed easily. Milo the spraying cat, cost me a fortune! I also had to repaint the entire house because he used to get up on the shelves and walkways I made for him, and spray the walls! They had to be sealed then painted. Upstairs and downstairs. Thank you Milo.

Milo doesnt live here anymore :( so I don't have to deal with the spraying issue anymore, I am glad to say. I miss him terribly but wow! I have my life back. I don't have to have plastic on every surface of the house! I don't have to have scat mats and scraminals every 3 feet! I can use my favorite covers on my bed! I can leave laundry on the floor! I almost don't know how to act now that I don't have to look for cat pee any more!

In case anyone is wondering, Milo is living on a farm of 8 acres. He hated being inside and outside was not an option where I live. He is chasing gophers and mice and probably real bugs instead of the imaginary ones he chased here. He is in his element and happy. It was the 2nd hardest thing I have ever had to do, and if kills me daily, but he's happy so I guess I have to be too.

sorry for the rambling....I have tried about a billion different products to get rid of cat pee smell. It is the most difficult thing to get rid of. The very most important part is : You have to get it all! there cannot be even a trace left or you will be repeating the process. The fact that cats have noses from another planet that can smell everything, adds to the problem. Our noses just arent good enough. If a faint trace remains after your cleaning, that is just a flag waving to the cat saying "Come on over here and pee, its almost clean!" Also, if the cat has been using the same spot for a while before you catch it, that is another problem. The pee has built up and will need to be diluted before any enzyme products will be effective. The pad under the carpet will have to be removed, and probably the floor will have to be painted with a sealer. Its a nightmare of a job to thouroughly remove cat pee from carpets and one I don't ever want to tackle again. I totally understand now why landlords don't want to rent to people with cats. I never did before, but now I do.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby lilcaspol » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:02 pm

I agree about it being impossible to get rid of without getting rid of the carpet. My mom just moved into a new apartment and the previous tenant had a cat and NO litter box :shock: They had to basically gut the place because there was so many pee spots.

Abbey I'm so sorry you had to give up Milo, but it sounds like it was the perfect solution for both of you. I hope he lives many years on the farm chasing gophers and bugs :)
lilcaspol
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby abbeytoo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 pm

lilcaspol wrote:I agree about it being impossible to get rid of without getting rid of the carpet. My mom just moved into a new apartment and the previous tenant had a cat and NO litter box :shock: They had to basically gut the place because there was so many pee spots.

Abbey I'm so sorry you had to give up Milo, but it sounds like it was the perfect solution for both of you. I hope he lives many years on the farm chasing gophers and bugs :)

thanks about Milo. I keep telling myself that I did the right thing, but I haven't convinced myself yet. I sure miss the little stinker. Here's a link to one of his mischevious moments lol
http://public.fotki.com/tutti/milo_and_ ... tenta.html

Also, even if you think the carpet is clean (laughing to myself) using a carpet shampooer or steam cleaner on it will overwhelm you with the smell of the stuff you thought you got rid of! gross
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Next

Return to General litterbox discussion