Kitty Litter EVERYWHERE help!!

Debate the pros and cons of the various boxes and discuss other automated litter attendants here

Kitty Litter EVERYWHERE help!!

Postby Gschneider » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Hey everybody,
I have a darling Devon Rex who is just incredibly well behaved in every way except her prediliction to spray kitty litter EVERYWHERE. I've tried big boxes, covered boxes and "catbox carpets" and so far no impact. I'm desparate! Right now I'm using Swheatscoop litter and a covered box. I'd love any suggestions please!

Thanks!
Georges
Gschneider
New User

Postby lowenbotten » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 pm

I think that's normal for any cats. My cats get litter everywhere. My brother's cats also get the litter everywhere. Covered litterbox or not.
lowenbotten
Valued Contributor

Postby lilcaspol » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Mine do too, it's very annoying
lilcaspol
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby abbeytoo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Grrr! I caught my 2 new kittens training to be pains in the butt! The boy was in the litter box "flinging" litter out at his sister who was standing beside the box. It wasn't accidental, he wasn't on the box to do his business. they were rolling around on the floor and chasing each other and landed next to the box. They both looked in and then he hopped in and began tossing litter out at his sister! Punks in the making.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby lilcaspol » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:38 pm

OH boy!

Well when Castor uses the Litter Robot, he bangs on the port handle. On the down swing it's like half the contents end up on the mat and all around it. I could just strangle him. Stinkin hooligan :lol:
lilcaspol
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby freckledimple » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:19 pm

When my Lyle was a kitten, his favorite thing to do was find a litter clump and procede to bat it EVERYWHERE! Now he's con tent with leaving as much litter in front of the covered box as possible. :x :lol:
freckledimple
New User

Postby Crazy_Cat_Gal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Hello Gschneider!

It seems to me that every cat has their own unique litter box "style" which is driven by their natural instinct.

So, because you cannot alter nature, you may want to consider purchasing a litter box cabinet. I have seen them in various styles & materials (wicker, wood, carpet-covered wood, etc.). This way, all of the litter that she scoops or kicks out of the pan will at least be contained inside the cabinet until you dispose of it.

If you think that this might help your situation and if you need any assistance in finding products, just let me know--I would be more than happy to send you some links.

Take care and good luck!
Crazy_Cat_Gal
New User

Postby enghorn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:33 pm

This is what I use for litter fling:

the dirt devil broom vac:
http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/produ ... x?id=32827

I think I paid about $29 for it at Costco. Its great. It is rechargable and has a long handle just like a broom (no stooping) Its great with litter. There are no bags to replace, just a canister to empty. It does pick up a lot of cat hair too, which sticks to the filter. I just pick it off, and every so often give it a good rinse with the garden hose and let it dry before its next use.
enghorn
New User

Re: Kitty Litter EVERYWHERE help!!

Postby BengalsRock » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 am

One word ROOMBA
BengalsRock!!
2 Bengals, Calvin && Hobbes, 14 litter boxes later....
BengalsRock
Litterbox Guru

Postby colleey » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:27 am

Both my cats are litter box diggers. I'm currently using the petmate jumbo litterbox with hood. It also has a liitle flap in front of the door that helps with the litter scatter but some still gets kicked out.
I used to use yesterdays news for litter but didn't like finding the big pellets aroung the house. Now I using the crystals which don't seem to get around the house as much. I have one small mat infront of the box. I'm going to get a larger one.
colleey
New User

Postby BengalsRock » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:13 pm

colleey wrote:Both my cats are litter box diggers. I'm currently using the petmate jumbo litterbox with hood. It also has a liitle flap in front of the door that helps with the litter scatter but some still gets kicked out.
I used to use yesterdays news for litter but didn't like finding the big pellets aroung the house. Now I using the crystals which don't seem to get around the house as much. I have one small mat infront of the box. I'm going to get a larger one.

I Start my Roomba everyday before I leave for work and I come home to a fully vacuumed house. I really love how it picks up the litter scatter as well as the crumbles of food that get on the food mat when they eat.

Can't live with out my robots!
BengalsRock!!
2 Bengals, Calvin && Hobbes, 14 litter boxes later....
BengalsRock
Litterbox Guru

Postby Mima » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Well like everyone else who loves cats, has the same problem...litter that scatters
everywhere. I got desperate last year for a solution that wouldn't freak out the
cats,then kittens. Instead of a cover that just goes over the box I was looking for
something that is easy to clean and covers the litter box area. I finally found
a nylon (very lightwieght) pet crate used for auto travel to carry pets to competitions.
I used it with all types of boxes even CG and now my LR. They come in various
sizes and all I do is cut most of the top for an easy access to reach in to clean the box.
I found mine on Ebay and is quite reasonable. When I first got them I let the cats
play in it before putting in the boxes. Keeps the litter in the pet crate with very little
getting past the crate door. Hope this helps!
Mima
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby spaceshare » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 pm

You might try --

I bought a large plastic type storage tub (sterilite??) with a lid for a litter box and cut a round hole in the lid so the cats enter the box from the top. They can dig all they want and the litter doesn't go out of the box -- just a bit on their paws when they leave the box. I currently use this box with crystals... (They use the LR and yes, make the typical cat mess with it but that hole-in-the-top box works pretty well and one cat uses it to pee.) :) There's a manufactured litter box like this out there somewhere (can't remember the name) -- costs around $30 -- My home made box cost under $10.00 and works fine.
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby LazrArt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Just caught my youngest cat reading this post and he was writing down notes - I'm sure to try with his sister. Up to now he's only taken to rolling in the litter and mild flinging, but with all these great ideas, I'm sure he'll be coming up with new forms of entertainment :lol:

Face it - if we didn't love their unpredictable and mildly mischievous natures, we'd be on a doggy pooper-scooper forum.
LazrArt
New User

Postby btownmeezer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:57 pm

I thought about doing that and that would work pretty good with my siamese, Adelaide who is a little athlete, however, of the other two, my Henry has three legs (back one was amputated due to an accident) and Possum who is so tubby, she can't even clean her butt. Those two wouldn't be able to get in from the top. Good idea though!!

spaceshare wrote:You might try --

I bought a large plastic type storage tub (sterilite??) with a lid for a litter box and cut a round hole in the lid so the cats enter the box from the top. They can dig all they want and the litter doesn't go out of the box -- just a bit on their paws when they leave the box. I currently use this box with crystals... (They use the LR and yes, make the typical cat mess with it but that hole-in-the-top box works pretty well and one cat uses it to pee.) :) There's a manufactured litter box like this out there somewhere (can't remember the name) -- costs around $30 -- My home made box cost under $10.00 and works fine.
btownmeezer
New User

Next

Return to General litterbox discussion