Manx with diarrhea and the cure

Pet topics other than litter and litterbox maintenance go here

Manx with diarrhea and the cure

Postby spaceshare » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 am

I found this experience quite informative and hope, by adding it to this site, someone will benefit.

In December (2010), I adopted a Manx cat (Sumati… Sumi), 7 months old, from the Humane Society. He had been in the shelter for only 10 days, long enough to be vaccinated, treated for worms, and neutered. I ignored some obvious signs of illness such as a dime-sized puddle of poop on the shelter floor when he was the only kitty out of his cage, flinching away from my hand when I petted him on his sides, and hiding. I visited him twice, paid the $50, and took him home.

Sumi had diarrhea and soft stools; his poop looked like undigested food; he dribbled at times from his bottom; he had gas. He spent up to 5 minutes very thoroughly burying his feces in the litter box and, in process, scattered the soiled litter onto the floor outside the box. I changed his food, shopped for litter that could absorb the messiness (Cellulose litter), and got out my old hand-made covered litter box (large storage box with a dinner plate sized hole cut in the lid … the cat enters from the top modeled after the Clever Cat litter box) to contain the mess.

A week or so after Sumi was home, resident cat Ariel played with him and became very sick and three days later was at the Vet’s on an IV for fluids, antibiotics, and nutrients where she remained for two days. Meanwhile, I took Sumi into the Vet’s for an exam and fecal analysis. Both cats came home on medication; Sumi on meds for two weeks to treat an over-abundance of the bacteria, Clostridium. I was to clean and sanitize his litter box daily. During one 36-hour period I cleaned and sanitized the larger bathroom where he was housed three times due to soiling.

At the end of three weeks, forty pounds of litter later, medication gone, and on a limited ingredient diet, Sumi still had soft stools. His bottom was red and sore looking. He was too quiet for a cat not even a year old. He went into hiding.

By this time, I had spent hours on the internet investigating diarrhea, soft unformed stools, and cats. There was one piece of advice that continued to crop-up: Fast the cat for 24 hours (water to be available) and then feed him boiled white chicken and boiled white rice. A little yogurt (nonfat, plain) can be given, too.

Sumi hid for 12 hours. I took his food away for the remaining 12. I bought chicken and rice, boiled the chicken, boiled the rice, blended them up, added a little oil, and fed it to the cat. On the side, he had a little unsweetened nonfat organic yogurt.

A short time later I had a very lively Manx cat, batting and chasing his toys around the floor, interacting with the other cats. In 12-hours following the fast, I found a single shorter cylindrical piece of dark brown poop in Sumi’s litter box. I was amazed! A few minutes after discovering the poop, Sumi sought me out and got on my lap for the first time since moving in. He no longer flinched when I petted his sides. That afternoon, I had a Manx with a normal looking bottom, sleeping in his cat bed – a bed he wouldn’t sleep in before perhaps because he couldn’t get comfortable due to a persistent tummy ache.

In January, after acquiring Sumi, I spent $487.38 in vet expenses, $22.26 on special food, $40.00 on litter, and $8.96 on cleaning supplies to make my litter box duties more efficient, total $558.56. My budget was way over-spent. Yesterday, I spent $1.49 on some brown rice (white was recommended but brown has some fiber and more nutrients) and $3.47 on some organic chicken legs (breast/white meat is recommended but brown has Taurine) and a half-an-hour to boil it up.

(A few days after writing the entry above …) Sumi left a perfectly formed cylindrical piece of near odorless poop on top of his litter pile this morning … He has apparently given up the incessant burying. So far I have not given him any commercial cat food but have added gizzards, liver, a little vegetable pulp (carrot, celery, parsley), salmon oil, and Taurine to his chicken and rice. The two other resident cats continue their commercial food diet. I looked into the three companies whose cat food I recently purchased for Sumi. Unknown to me, the small pet food company (with previously good quality control and my favorite -- Natura Pet) was purchased by Proctor and Gamble last year. The second cat food company was sighted several times during the pet food scare a few years ago. The third is still a small privately owned company striving for excellent quality control but despite Sumi’s diet of their limited ingredient food, he did not get better. Foods I don’t use, Iams was purchased by Proctor and Gamble in 1999; Science Diet is owned by Colgate-Palmolive.

What caused Sumi's condition? I have some guesses. So far I am not willing to carry out any experiments to find the answer.

Hope the solution to Sumi's diarrhea is helpful to someone out there.
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Manx with diarrhea and the cure

Postby abbeytoo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 am

Great information!!! Couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am going to try this on my little spazzy cat to see if it will stop his runs. Thanks!

You might find this interesting. http://www.littlebigcat.com/category/nutrition/ Good stuff about cat food. My eyes kind of glazed over about half way thru, so I went back and read it a while later. Glad I did.
Sisters Lucy & Ruby who has Hyperthyroidism, Brothers Static & Sassy, Stormy - found in a storm drain, Speed Racer a CH Kitty, RIP my Little Lily Bug
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby abbeytoo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Spaceshare, I copied your post to another forum I have joined for kitties with cerebellar hypoplasia, which my new kitten, Racer, has. A lot of the cats over there seem to be bothered with runny poo, so I thought this might help. This is what was posted in response:

Re: [chkittyclub] Manx with diarrhea and the cure

When I read your post, I thought of Manx Syndrome. I hope your kitty doesn't have it. She may have issues because of the shortened vertebrae. Here is something I found, Digestive Problems for Manx Cats

Date: 03/19/2009 Topic: Pets > Cats > Cat Breeds

Post Feedback | Get Responses | Bookmark | Link | Print | Print (With Feedback) | Rate: |

This is a solution to Manx diarrhea and their digestive problems. This is very common with the Breed. Many vets do not see a Manx in their practice and when they do they are not certain how to deal with it. They are known to have bowel problems and it stems from their shortened vertebrae. They can be sensitive to some foods and do not recommend giving them milk.

I have had a lot of rescue experience with this breed and came across an old country vet who used Tylan Powder in the very small caplets. This is by Prescription only. But there are vet and pet pharmacies that will mix and dose for your cats weight and even flavor it so the cat will accept it more readily.

It is tried and true. You may have to give it to your cat for a long period, or it may clear up in a couple of weeks. Depends on your cat. Be patient. And change vets if they have no experience with this breed. They are one of the most fascinating cats you will ever own or be owned by!

Source: Old time vet in Florida who had a lot of farm experience.

There are other sources on the net that talk about Tylan for chronic diarrhea in cats so you might research that as well as Manx Syndrome.

Maria
Sisters Lucy & Ruby who has Hyperthyroidism, Brothers Static & Sassy, Stormy - found in a storm drain, Speed Racer a CH Kitty, RIP my Little Lily Bug
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby spaceshare » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Abbey -- Did you try the chicken and rice with your kitty? If so, what happened?

Thanks for the contributing information. I'm not sure about the Manx Syndrome. It was my chief concern as I investigated the cause of Sumi's diarrhea but other sites indicated that tailless Manx vs the stubby Manx were more prone to this -- Sumi has a stubby tail. And one vet site listed constipation as a symptom of Manx syndrome whereas diarrhea was totally left out, i.e., lots of mixed and conflicting information out there about Manx syndrome.

This is my most logical explanation for Sumi's troubles: Sumi who is shy and fairly sensitive was prone to stress when he entered the shelter, was wormed and may have been treated with antibiotics after being neutered which wiped out the beneficial bacteria in his digestive tract which lead to the over-proliferation of the Clostridium bacteria -- a common bacteria present in the intestines but normally kept in check. So, the Clostridium took over causing the diarrhea. The antibiotic wiped out the Clostridium but did not restore Sumi's digestive tract -- i.e., he had very little bacteria left to digest the food. Resting his digestive track -- the 24 hours fast --, the chicken and rice, and the added yogurt (with its beneficial bacteria) restored his digestive tract.

Now, the only thing wrong with this theory is that Sumi produces soft stools when he gets into the dry cat food (from the other cats dishes) and he does fine on the home-cooked diet leading me to believe that something commonly found in dry cat food (no corn in the products, by-the-way) is causing the soft stools. And that led me to question whether commercial cat food is that good for cats, anyway.

Meanwhile, the diet has expanded to human grade tuna with added cooked rice (and Taurine). Also chicken hearts, liver, gizzards -- careful with the liver. Too much could produce too much Vit A in the system and could harm the cat. And I am trying a higher protein dry cat food to see how well he tolerates it.
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby spaceshare » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Up-date on Sumi --
I have tried a new dry cat food that Sumi is doing well on -- HURRAY! Called GO! natural..., I purchased it at Mini Pet-Mart. Advertised as 80% premium animal product, 20% fruits, veggis, vitamins/minerals, 0% grains, it contains 50% protein, 21% fat (that's a little high), 2% fiber. Lots of beneficial bacteria listed as well. I gave him the final test and went out of town for 36 hours. Sumi only had "GO!" and produced normal poop!

GO! is made in Canada, comes in several different formulas (Sumi just tried the Chicken, Turkey and Duck formula). It’s on the expensive side. I purchased a 1 lb trial for $5.99. The picky eater in the cat family, Zen, sneaks into Sumi’s cat dish to eat GO! every chance she gets.

Take care. This Sumi issue appears resolved! :D
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Return to General Discussion