Cat Genius & Cartridge Genius

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

Cat Genius & Cartridge Genius

Postby htowntolondon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 pm

CatGenius,

Can you confirm that the Cartridge Genius works with a recently purchased Cat Genie? I'm about to put an order in, but wanted to check since we bought ours in the last month.

Also, I'm interested in this Cat Genius project. I'm a software developer so the concept doesn't scare me, I'm just wondering how close you guys are to finalizing that project. The google group seems to have quite a bit of activity so it was hard to judge just how far along it is. It seems to work but a lot of tweaks are still happening. Is the latest version of Cat Genius fairly stable and worthwhile?

Thanks!
htowntolondon
New User

Re: Cat Genius & Cartridge Genius

Postby CatGenius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 am

htowntolondon wrote:Can you confirm that the Cartridge Genius works with a recently purchased Cat Genie? I'm about to put an order in, but wanted to check since we bought ours in the last month.
Yes, unless you've bought a 'Very Important Cat club' (VIC) box. VIC boxes are the only ones not supported. I can, but I won't because it's basically a payment plan. However, if you own a VIC box and the subscription has ended, you will receive a pink final cartridge. This cartridge will turn a VIC box into a regular box, which IS compatible with CartridgeGenius.
And before you ask: I can emulate the pink cartridge too, but I won't 8)
htowntolondon wrote:Also, I'm interested in this Cat Genius project. I'm a software developer so the concept doesn't scare me, I'm just wondering how close you guys are to finalizing that project. The google group seems to have quite a bit of activity so it was hard to judge just how far along it is. It seems to work but a lot of tweaks are still happening. Is the latest version of Cat Genius fairly stable and worthwhile?
That's interesting! I think I have just approved your group membership; Welcome!
The current status of the firmware is stable. It's running on quite a number of boxes around the world. I'm currently not running it myself, because I have CartridgeGenius firmware to test, but I did run it for a very long time and I will run it again soon.
Having said that, you do need to know that it's not finished. Timed washes don't work, due to a simple shortcoming in setting timers. The pause function doesn't work due to a nasty bug in context saving. And there is no error handling, because pause doesn't work.
You are welcome to check out the code on Google Code online, or by checking out the repository using SVN. I think it is well-coded, if I may say so myself. However, I am currently not actively working on it. That doesn't mean it's abandoned; I have picked it up from time to time in the past and I will do so again. But I have put hundreds of hours of my time in it and aside from two bug fixes and two guys helping on the mailing list answering questions (appreciate it very much!), it's only me doing the coding.
BTW: CatGenius firmware related discussions are better off in the CatGenius Google Group.
CatGenius
CatGenius
CatGenius

Postby CatGenius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 am

CatGenius wrote:VIC boxes are the only ones not supported.
Correction: VIC boxes and Model 60 boxes, that is.
CatGenius
CatGenius
CatGenius

Postby Birdieputt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm

In desperate Need to get a hold of you or weddlerr
Birdieputt
New User

Postby GenieUser » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Birdieputt wrote:In desperate Need to get a hold of you or weddlerr

Did you try emailing cartridgegenius@gmail.com?
GenieUser
Valued Contributor

Return to CatGenie