I have a model 60 CatGenie, and I'm considering widening the drainage hole. Any thoughts/ideas/experiences would be appreciated. I've looked over all the CG posts and have not seen anyone tackle the problem being that the drain hole is so small that it clogs with hair easily (if you have a long haired cat).
I ordered the new impeller and we'll see how that works, but I'm pretty sure it won't fix my clogging problem... the sucker clogs at least once a week.
FYI the modifications I've made so far are:
- I switched to plastic doll beads (which are great and cheap at Michael's, a craft store). The cats won't mind them as long as you slowly add them to your the standard granules over time.
- I cut the top off a sani cartridge, then superglued and siliconed the nipple to the (closed) lid of a large ketchup bottle, with a hold drilled through the lid, then inserted the ketchup bottle into the hollowed out sani cartridge. I then drilled a fill hole on the top (i.e. the bottom of the ketchup bottle) so I can now fill it with a cheap solution. It's worked flawlessly for a year and a half or so.
Regarding widening the drainage hole, here's my idea:
If you pull out the 'blender' unit, you'll see the red rubber piece slides onto a plastic nipple protruding from the blender. I think the diameter of this nipple is the ridiculous. I already run the crap line to my sewer line in my crawl space (through a hole I punched in my garage wall), and so I was thinking of cutting off the plastic nipple, then cutting out a hole in that area of the 'blender' housing and… SOMEHOW attaching either a 1inch or a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe, then running that PVC pipe all the way to the sewer instead of using the kinky drainage hose (cuz then it'd have too small a diameter). I think if I can figure out how to attach the PVC it’ll work. I'm guessing that PVC pipe glue (there are 2 kinds) will work on this plastic housing really well. I think if I can cut the perfect sized hole, then insert the pipe through, then heat the pipe on the tip to mushroom it (so the pipe cannot pull out) AND THEN glue the heck out of it, it could work.
Another option is to insert a rubber grommet on the blender unit, then just slide the PVC pipe through it (just a little so it doesn't bump the blender blades). Gluing and mushrooming the tip may or may not be an option here.
Regardless which method I use, I'm certain I'll have to build up the bottom of the CG box with a little wood, so the PVC can run underneath it.
I have not thought this through all the way yet, but man, if it could work... our clogging problems could be solved.
I had the wild thought of also somehow scrapping the blender unit all together, and just installing a darn toilet in the garage, mounting the box on top of it, and somehow having the hopper dump into the toilet and have it flush (i.e. electronic toilet). Then it cleans the granules like normal, all minus the flushing problem.