Cat won't poo anymore in CG, but will pee?...

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

Cat won't poo anymore in CG, but will pee?...

Postby smglvh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi,

I've had the CG for about 8 months now and my oldest cat, Harry, started using it fine. However, the younger female cat, Hermione, was more challenging - she is scared of her own shadow. She would use the CG to pee all of the time, but sometimes she would not poo inside but instead on the carpet next to it or outside in the hall and other times in the CG. Then we went on vacation for 3 weeks and I turned it "cat activated" for the first time and the poor pet sitter had to pick up poo almost everyday. Now, she will ONLY pee in the CG but will never poo in it. I have taken it off "cat activiated", I've tried keeping it extra clean, leaving it more dirty, but nothing works with her. Has anyone had this issue and or have any suggested solutions?

Thanks,
Leigh
smglvh
New User

Re: Cat won't poo anymore in CG, but will pee?...

Postby JENN » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 pm

I have this same problem, but not in a Cat Genie. i have a ScoopFree litter box. Oddly, my cat did just fine in this box for a little over a year, then boom, she starts to "double-duty" her potty. Meaning, she pee's in the box, jumps out and poop's on my bathroom linoleum right next to the box. If I place a manual box nearby she will poo in that though, but I wish I wouldn't have to do that. :(

I'm not sure what made her start doing this?! I'm going on vacation for a couple weeks and her highness is going to a kennel. I hope this "away from home" episode will teach her a lesson and not make things even worse when she gets home. :shock:
JENN
Litterbox Guru

Postby rckitten » Sun May 15, 2011 11:41 am

I have three cats and the oldest (smartest one?) uses the CG to pee and and sometimes poo but the other two don't use it to poo at all. I had to resort to putting a litter box next to the CG and one cat pees in the CG and right after hops in the litter box to poo. Since they hardly ever pee in the regular litter box I have just lined it with newspaper an when the cats do poo I just flip it in the toilet. So the cat CG mostly just cleans the pee, no smell and no clogs. This has not been to big of a problem for me as there is still no litter to deal with and dumping the poo is not that hard. But on other posts people have said that some cats like to pee in one cat litter box and poo in a different litter box especially if there are multiple cats. I just ordered another CG and I will see if this solves the problem.
Cheers!
rckitten
New User

Postby BamZipPow » Sun May 15, 2011 6:57 pm

I wonder if it is the residual Sanisolution on the granules that may be irritating their senses or their butt.
BamZipPow
Litterbox Guru

Postby rckitten » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Ok i think i have solved the problem. If you have three cats or more you might need another catgenie. If you have a really fussy cat you might have to buy a second one too. After buying the second catgenie i have not had any cats poos outside of the catgenie. I filmed the cats to see what was happening. One cat seems to pee in one catgenie and poos in the other. He does this all the time. I have him pee in one and right after he will hop out and poo in the other one. I have set the one he goes pee in to cat activation mode and the one he poos i set to manual which i start once or twice a day. I didn't want both on a clean cycle at the same time and this seems to work fine, Anyway, it is an expensive solution as you have to buy two catgenies but I recommend having two CGs with 3 or more cats. I will try putting both CGs to cat activaiton mode to see how this works because ultimately I would want to have this in case I have to leave the cats alone over the weekend.
Cheers!
rckitten
New User

Return to CatGenie