New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby flyguyjake » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:39 am

Here's your exclusive, long awaited, first look at the CatGenie 120 pics...

This is the new control panel...
Image

Here is the dreaded RFID chip...
Image

Here is the new board...
Image

Here is the unit set up...
Image

Thanks to our European friend for these pics!!!
User avatar
flyguyjake
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby BamZipPow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 am

Does yer friend have piccies of the new cartridge installed with the new Cat Genie 120?
BamZipPow
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby flyguyjake » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 am

No but that would look exactly the same as our does since the new cartridge is identical in size, shape & color.
User avatar
flyguyjake
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby MindBender » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:31 am

Note the "remove seal after washing"-label on the beeper of the controller board... This label protects it's membrane during manufacturing, but it is supposed to be taken off afterward. However, it is a lot louder without the label so that may be a reason for not removing it. But if it's too silent for your taste, go ahead and remove it.

I will send Jake a photo of the new cartridge soon to verify any differences, but I doubt any changes besides the chip. It contains 450ml of fluid. I think it just uses half the dosages of the old unit (yet the charge more for it) to get 120 cycles out of it. I don't have a classic CG, but the smell of the SaniSolution immediately reminded me of the cleaning agent in the cartridges of the LitterFree box (http://www.litterbox-central.com/litter-box/litterfree). Since it's more-or-less the same company I think they have simply re-used the old recipe (so much for the claimed research).

The chip-photo is in fact showing the RF-ID reader PCB. The CRX14p is mounted on the other side and because the PCB is molten onto the cartridge holder it is impossible the remove it without leaving any traces. So the CRX14p was identified using a very flat mirror ;). This type number makes sense, because it's also given in the STMicro documentation with the RF-ID chip.
User avatar
MindBender
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby psu1994ca » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Has your friend in Europe heard if they are offering "upgrades" where you only need to pay for the PU rather then the whole unit. It looks like it would just pop in. I have to say I am disappointed with the controls. I was hoping they would go to a more sophisticated UI.

1) LCD Display - Capabilities include;
a) Time & Date display which would then enable scheduling wash cycles by time and/or day.
b) Error messages - Individual error messages for the various likely malfunctions such as (clog, dirty sensor, cartridge empty etc.)
c) SaniSolution cartridge counter indicating remaining usage 60, 59, 58, 57 etc.
d) User menu enabling unit functions such as initial setup menus, wash cycle settings, maintenance etc.


I like the cat sensor feature... my cat seem to enjoy using the unit as soon as it finishes running...
psu1994ca
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:29 am

It would seem that this "CatGenie 120" is not an entirely new unit at all, but simply a new "CPU". Of course we don't know for certain until there is official word, but it looks to me like all parts of the CatGenie... hopper, bowl, etc... are all exactly the same. In other words, existing CatGenies would work with the new "120" CPU. Just slip the old one off and the new one on.

This raises an interesting question...

Since the only CatGenie available so far with the launch of CatGenies in the UK have the new "120" CPU, it would seem that PetNovations would like to discontinue sales of units that have the original CPU. If that's the case, then I am very curious to see how they will handle all of their customers with existing legacy CPU's. Will they offer to trade up the CPU? If so, how much will it cost? Will they continue to sell "old" style cartridges with EEPROMs on them (as the RFID cartridges will not work at all on legacy CPU's)? Or will they only offer the "old" EEPROM cartridges for a limited time, thereby requiring all existing customers to upgrade to the new 120 CPU? Surely they can't afford to replace all existing CPU's at no charge? If they do discontinue EEPROM cartridge production at some point, that will drive the demand for cartridge resetters even higher... unless of course the cost to replace the CPU is substantially less than the cost of a cartridge resetter. CatMan was selling them at the lowest price I've seen so far at $59 each.

Just my thoughts. I hope I haven't yet again gotten the PetNovations president angry with me with my speculations. :)
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:34 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby MindBender » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 am

Pelvis Popcan wrote:If that's the case, then I am very curious to see how they will handle all of their customers with existing legacy CPU's.
This concern was already raised in the first post on a Beta Review of CG: http://www.litterbox-central.com/litter-box/catgenie/topic1067.htm. If the company goes out of business or simply stops supporting the model, the only thing your expensive box is good for is regular litter in combination with manual poop-scooping.
Pelvis Popcan wrote:Will they offer to trade up the CPU? If so, how much will it cost?
I think they will; Until now all upgrades (eg. TurboHopper etc.) have been offered to the existing user base at very reasonable prices.
Pelvis Popcan wrote:Will they continue to sell "old" style cartridges with EEPROMs on them (as the RFID cartridges will not work at all on legacy CPU's)? Or will they only offer the "old" EEPROM cartridges for a limited time, thereby requiring all existing customers to upgrade to the new 120 CPU? Surely they can't afford to replace all existing CPU's at no charge? If they do discontinue EEPROM cartridge production at some point, that will drive the demand for cartridge resetters even higher... unless of course the cost to replace the CPU is substantially less than the cost of a cartridge resetter. CatMan was selling them at the lowest price I've seen so far at $59 each.
There's a third option: They could equip cartrigdes with both RF-ID and I2C chip because they are located on slightly different locations on the cartridge. That way they would work in both boxes, but you wouldn't get 120 cycles out of it in an old box. And of course PN would have to admit that it's exactly the same cleaning agent inside to people who are concerned about overdosage of the new-extra-concentracted-fluid in an old CG.
User avatar
MindBender
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby CatGenie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:41 am

Subject: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

MindBender wrote:....I don't have a classic CG, but the smell of the SaniSolution immediately reminded me of the cleaning agent in the cartridges of the LitterFree box (http://www.litterbox-central.com/litter-box/litterfree). Since it's more-or-less the same company I think they have simply re-used the old recipe (so much for the claimed research).


1. Actually we are a completely different company-we purchased the patents and intellectual property that was created by the previous company and, also, we did hire 4 of the past company employees.
2. The statement regarding the SaniSolution is not true. While we are using similar ingredients from the Litterfree (we purchased the intellectual property from the previous company which included research) we thought this would help us to not to have to reinvent the wheel. At the end of the day it gave a little help with regard to safe and effective components but, we still ended up having to completely reformulate the ingredients, test and hire a research firm to ensure it would be safe for pets and yet still keep the CatGenie clean-. After that was accomplished we had to insure all of the components that would come in contact with the concentrated mixture could handle it. Also, we had to design and build a dosage pump that would put the exact amount of solution into the water flow, and finally a safe carrying case (the cartridge), Contrary to popular belief, it is not easy to sell concentrated material such as what is in our SaniSolution in bulk and insure safe transport delivery and most important safe consumer use and make sure it does what it is supposed to do.
3. The 120 is also a reformulation of the 60 and is not just reducing the dose to do it more times. The solution again was reformulated and made to be more concentrated to ensure a smaller dose was effective and most important safe for pets and people. This had to be tested again and evaluated to insure safety and then retested on all components that had direct contact with the more concentrated dose.
4. Not to tell you all your thoughts are incorrect, But you are correct the scent is the same as the LitterFree. Ironically enough we tested over a dozen scents with numerous cats and people and both preferred the same scent used in the LF.

On a different note, I want to clear something up. We are not in many retail stores, because Retail is tentative to add a product so dramatically different. It even took them several years to add the Littermaid which is not radically different than a regular cat box and radio fencing also took many years to be included into their mix.

Love us or hate us, it is hard to argue that the CatGenie is not a complete paradigm shift in dealing with cat waste. We looked at this problem in a way no one else had done before and we realized litter is the problem and that storing waste in your home is kind of silly or gross for that matter. We are making inroads, and now have 25 PetSmart Stores trying us out. The truth is the consumer drives retail. So, we tell everyone that asks us, to tell your Petco, PetSmart or other pet store owners to carry us. This product is very different than anything else they carry and also more expensive. While we are no means a threat to big litter companies at this time, the bigger we get the more threatening we become. Cat litter companies spend a significant amount in cooperative advertising with the big retailers and that puts added pressure on them with regard to carrying us. This does not mean they will not do it, (because they are slowly) but it does mean that YOU the consumer can be a big help in providing the proof to what we tell them about our product.

So, in the meantime, we made sure that we had warehouses on both coasts and worked hard over the past several years to make sure other online retailers, also on both coasts and now in Canada, stock the product so people will be able to easily get SaniSolution in a short period of time. This is not perfect and we are aggressively continuing our push to expand into more bricks and mortar stores.
User avatar
CatGenie
CatGenie Vendor Representative
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:41 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby flyguyjake » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 pm

CatGenie,

You claim that you are two different companies, yet it's perfectly clear that the same inventor did in fact invent both the Litter-Free and the CatGenie. So how is it that you "bought" the patents & intellectual property when the same inventor filed the patents under "BOTH" company names? It would appear to us as though you were simply trying to distance yourselves from the negative brand and failed Litter-Free product.

So care to clarify, who is Gordon Tal or Tal Gordon? And how is he currently involved in the company?

You state that you had extensive testing completed on your "sanisolution". Why doesn't your company post those lab results on your website so that owners can get a peace of mind that the solution is in fact safe? Why not release the MSDS?

Furthermore do you realize that your company cannot make a "sanitize or disinfect" claim WITHOUT an EPA registration??? That is against the law! I see that you have removed those words from your new 120 cartridge label. However that doesn't change the user manual and current label on the sanisolution cartridge.

And with regards to the sanisolution, tracking continues to be a huge problem in part because the sanisolution is so sticky. PLEASE, I BEG YOU, come out with a new and improved solution that isn't sticky, leaves NO RESIDUE and is EPA REGISTERED!

I really like the CatGenie but it can be so much better. Why not allow a few of us more technically savvy users to experiment with custom cycle programming and report back our experiences? User feedback and trial and error is what makes even the best products great!
User avatar
flyguyjake
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:29 pm

There was a quite a long delay between the discontinuation of the LitterFree and the release of the CatGenie, several years in fact. This was due to a lawsuit that involved the Israeli company that made the LitterFree. Because civil lawsuits are not made public in Israel, the details and nature of the lawsuit remain a mystery.
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:34 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Hazmat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 pm

I was hoping that the new formulation was the same as the old and not more concentrated. And that it just dispensed half the amount of the old.

My biggest peeve is that the current formula is too concentrated. After my warrenty expired I have gone to using a reprogrammer ( built it myself) and run one use with sanisolution and one without. I found that running sanisolution all the time caused build up and tracking and built up litter under the bowl and was just too sticky. I have not tried anything other than sanisolution or nothing ( just the water used by the unit).

I'v been through 5 processing units ( when in warrenty). This one ( the 5th) has been working fine for 11 months. No breakdowns or clogs. I have not even had to clean it. Just using sani on one run and water the next.

I have 8 full unused sani cartrages so I hope they take their time making the changeover.

I do manually scoop every poop :) perhaps scooping the poop is why I have isssues with the sani solution. But it sure beats those times where the rake misses a poop and the unit cooks it, filling the house with baked poop smell.

...

I can see how RIF chip can help. No more beeping from dirty contacts.
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:20 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Hazmat wrote:I do manually scoop every poop :)


Why would anyone pay $300 for an automatic litterbox, hook it up to plumbing, buy the supplies needed to run it, only to scoop poop in the same manner as a $5 traditional litter box?
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:34 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Still2cats2many » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Pelvis Popcan wrote:
Hazmat wrote:I do manually scoop every poop :)


Why would anyone pay $300 for an automatic litterbox, hook it up to plumbing, buy the supplies needed to run it, only to scoop poop in the same manner as a $5 traditional litter box?

You took the poop right out of my scoop.

I cannot understand the logic of that, either.

Am I wrong or does the new and improved Catgenie have a integrated (non-optional) dome? If so, and unless it's a lot bigger than the original design, my manx would never use it. Putting the last dome on caused him to start crapping and peeing all over the house.
Still2cats2many
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 pm

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby Hazmat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:43 am

Pelvis Popcan wrote:
Hazmat wrote:I do manually scoop every poop :)


Why would anyone pay $300 for an automatic litterbox, hook it up to plumbing, buy the supplies needed to run it, only to scoop poop in the same manner as a $5 traditional litter box?


I have a stiff leg and a bad back. A Traditional litter box is out of the question since I would have to bend over to clean it out anyways. Manually scooping isn't an issue since I put a regular scooper on the end of a broomstick and don't have to bend over to scoop. It's really no big deal, scoop and dump into toilet.

That, along with not having to lug traditional litter from the store and to the dump, makes the Catgenie a Godsend for me.
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:20 am

Re: New CatGenie 120 pics!!!

Postby flyguyjake » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:25 pm

I manually scoop solids also. I am NOT cleaning a clog nor am I having to deal with Poop Soup! Until improvements are made that prevent these issues I will be more than happy to manually scoop. It only takes a few seconds and keeps my CG extra clean since the hopper isn't grinding poop and the reservoir doesn't have any nasty poo residue in it! :lol:

The logic is simple, I never get errors, haven't cleaned it in over 4 months and don't have to tear it down. :shock:
User avatar
flyguyjake
Litterbox Guru
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 am

Next

Return to CatGenie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest