Substitute Sanisolution

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

Substitute Sanisolution

Postby CatMan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:35 pm

So I thought I'd start a new thread on sanisolution replacement. Wanted to do a pole to see what other folks are using and how it's working for you!

For me, so far I have only tried a biodegradable concentrated cleaner I got from Costco. About $9 / gallon. It's working okay, but I have on order something closer to the original formula from this company: Buckey International.

When I get it, I'll let you know how it works out...
CatMan
"Smart Cartridge Reset" Vendor

Re: Substitute Sanisolution

Postby rploaded » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:43 am

I used two caps of bleach to one quart water...... Got rid of most of the tracking issue as the original solution is very sticky............

I hope others chime in on what is effective. We can probably come up with a better solution then what was originally provided.
rploaded
Valued Contributor

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:39 am

First time posting here, though this board helped me choose the Cat Genie for myself. I am looking to possibly purchase a resetter, though I would be quicker to get one at half the price CatMan is asking (no offense). A big concern for me is choosing the right solution, one as close to the original as possible, but without the "scent" (odor) or stickiness some say is making litter pellets tracked throughout my house. Here's why:

During the acclimation phase I had a BIG problem with my cat(s) peeing outside the box for a couple weeks, and I think it MIGHT have had something to do with the fact that I sprayed a bleach/water mixture in the box during the wash cycle. Doesn't bleach discourage your cats from "going" in the box?

The main reason I got the CG is for my one cat who is VERY picky about his box. My wife and I are not very good about cleaning the box, so if it got 2 days or more without being scooped, we'd find a wet surprise on our clothes. Thank goodness, it's now been 2 weeks and no surprises. Everyone seems happy and acclimated, and I want to make sure above all it stays that way.

Any general guidelines on what's safe/not safe, what's effective/not effective?
Eric
New User

Postby CatMan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:23 am

I think the "sticky" problem could be eliminated if the final wash cycle didn't add solution, no matter what solution was being used. Too bad that's not something easily changed...

PS: no offence taken on the programmer! I really understand and wanted to keep the cost down, there was much more labor involved then I originally anticipated. If I knew I could sell thousands of them, I could have probably cut the cost a lot more. I don't think there are that many cat genies in the market place that I could expect to sell them in the thousands...
CatMan

Postby abbeytoo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:23 am

Eric wrote:First time posting here, though this board helped me choose the Cat Genie for myself. I am looking to possibly purchase a resetter, though I would be quicker to get one at half the price CatMan is asking (no offense).

Did you use that strategy with the people at Cat Genie when you purchased the litterbox? Did it work? Did you get it for half price? No? You don't think $300 for a box for your cat to crap in is over the top but an accessory that will override the built in 'flaw' and save you money, is? gee.

Catman put a lot of time and work into making his resetter. I'd be willing to bet that not that many people here have the ability/time/desire to engineer one for themselves. He is asking a fair price for his product, one that will save YOU money by being able to use the entire cartridge instead of having to throw it away with solution still in it, because the litterbox you paid $300 for, 'says' the cartridge is empty. They were most probably engineered that way so the Cat Genie people would make more money, on top of the $300 for each unit!

I'm sorry, but I would be offended by your comment, if I was Catman. Everyone who has bought one, has nothing but good things to say about it. Its one of those things that pays for itself in a short period of time.

end of Rant.

Welcome to the Litterbox, Eric. There is a wealth of information here, as you have discovered. Please keep us posted about your experiences with the Cat Genie.
abbeytoo
Litterbox Angel
Litterbox Angel

Postby BamZipPow » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm sure CatMan would give you a quantity discount... ;) Just PM him and ask. :D

MSDS-Material Safety Data Sheets fer Simple Green products. I noticed they make a professional germicidal cleaner. I wonder how well that would work in the Cat Genie?

I did some digging and came across this in their FAQ...

Disinfectant - Is Simple Green® All-Purpose Cleaner a disinfectant?
No. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is non-toxic and is not able to kill germs.

So people using Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner in their cartridges are most likely endangering themselves and their pets by using it as a replacement solution.

Ammonia - Can I mix Simple Green® with ammonia?
No. We don´t recommend mixing ammonia with Simple Green because mixing will detract from the cleaning ability of Simple Green and from the disinfecting or cleaning abilities of ammonia. You will achieve better cleaning results if Simple Green is used separately from ammonia. Additionally, although there is no bleach or ammonia in Simple Green, should you accidentally mix a bleach product (chlorinated product) with an ammonia product (ammoniated product), toxic fumes can result that could cause serious, even fatal, health risks. Therefore, our recommendation is that you never mix household chemicals.

Bleach - Can I mix Simple Green® with bleach?
No. We don´t recommend mixing bleach with Simple Green because mixing will detract from the cleaning ability of Simple Green and from the disinfecting, whitening, or cleaning abilities of bleach. You will achieve better cleaning results if Simple Green is used separately from bleach. Additionally, although there is no bleach or ammonia in Simple Green, should you accidentally mix a bleach product (chlorinated product) with an ammonia product (ammoniated product), toxic fumes can result that could cause serious, even fatal, health risks. Therefore, our recommendation is that you never mix household chemicals.
BamZipPow
Litterbox Guru

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:26 am

abbeytoo wrote:Did you use that strategy with the people at Cat Genie when you purchased the litterbox? Did it work? Did you get it for half price? No? You don't think $300 for a box for your cat to crap in is over the top but an accessory that will override the built in 'flaw' and save you money, is? gee.

Whoa! Easy there. No "strategy" involved here, just stating my opinion, as you are. In no way do I expect him to lower his price based on my comment, and in no way am I plotting a "strategy" to save a few bucks. In some way I do hope that CatMan might find the feedback of value, and if he does lower his price he might get more business... but that's a business decision on his end. Nice that you are coming to his defense, but please... chill out!

abbeytoo wrote:Welcome to the Litterbox, Eric.

Thanks!

CatMan wrote:PS: no offence taken on the programmer! I really understand and wanted to keep the cost down, there was much more labor involved then I originally anticipated. If I knew I could sell thousands of them, I could have probably cut the cost a lot more. I don't think there are that many cat genies in the market place that I could expect to sell them in the thousands...

Understood. Like I said above, business decision on your end. My main concern is getting a solution that works for my 'situation.' And I hope you do sell thousands some time soon... would really send a message to PN.

Anyway, I found an interesting "safety document" that might shed some light on the ingredients of the sanisolution. Seems like it's actually not as mild as I thought it to be. With statements like "In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Wash clothing before reuse."

http://homeandkennel.petedge.com/assets ... X21717.pdf
Eric
New User

Postby BamZipPow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:56 am

With a pH of 3...it's close to vinegar's acidic value. ;)

At least according to this scale... :D

Vinegar and bleach as a disinfectant... :D
BamZipPow
Litterbox Guru

Postby BamZipPow » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Doing some quick calculations...

The cartridge is 15oz which is good fer 60 cycles. 15oz divided by 60 cycles = 0.25 oz per cycle. Keep in mind that I'm guessing there's about a gallon or so of water that washes the Cat Genie with so any replacement solution must be left in a concentrated form. If you dilute yer replacement solution down, it may not be as effective at killing the germs as the original stuff. I'm not sure when the solution is released into the granules...I've seen it mentioned at the last rinse...hence why the granules are usually sticky.

Has anyone documented every single step fer the Cat Genie yet? Any takers? :D
BamZipPow
Litterbox Guru

Postby CatMan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Yes it appears the 3rd and last wash cycle is when the 1/4 oz of solution is dispensed. At least that is when you smell the scent of the solution, so it seams that's the only cycle that gets solution.
Last edited by CatMan on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatMan

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 pm

SaniSolution is a quaternary ammonium cation based disinfectant ("quat" for short). It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-odor, and germicidal.

Most veterinary clinics use "quat" disinfectants because they are the cheapest, around $20 per gallon. Other disinfectants can range up to $100 per gallon.

Here's a veterinary supply place's disinfectants that they sell:

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Disinfectants.php

Here's the two "quat" cleaners that they sell:

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/D128-DualQuat-Power-1-Gallon--pr--005VED01G
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Vindicator-Plus-1-Gallon--pr--005PHX1256

I'm not sure if D128 is scented or not; I don't think it is.

The Vindicator-Plus is scented.

I've said this in other threads but I will repeat it here: PetNovations has stated that the plastic granules used in the CatGenie are bio degradable. This means that if you use an enzyme based cleaner and/or a probiotic (bacterial) based cleaner, over time, it will cause the granules to erode and it will affect the performance of the CatGenie (as the granules are designed to help "scrub" the bowl during the cycle and break up small pieces of poop).
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru

Postby CatMan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Pelvis Popcan wrote:SaniSolution is a quaternary ammonium cation based disinfectant ("quat" for short). It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-odor, and germicidal.

Most veterinary clinics use "quat" disinfectants because they are the cheapest, around $20 per gallon. Other disinfectants can range up to $100 per gallon.

Here's a veterinary supply place's disinfectants that they sell:

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Disinfectants.php

Here's the two "quat" cleaners that they sell:

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/D128-DualQuat-Power-1-Gallon--pr--005VED01G
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Vindicator-Plus-1-Gallon--pr--005PHX1256

I'm not sure if D128 is scented or not; I don't think it is.

The Vindicator-Plus is scented.

I've said this in other threads but I will repeat it here: PetNovations has stated that the plastic granules used in the CatGenie are bio degradable. This means that if you use an enzyme based cleaner and/or a probiotic (bacterial) based cleaner, over time, it will cause the granules to erode and it will affect the performance of the CatGenie (as the granules are designed to help "scrub" the bowl during the cycle and break up small pieces of poop).

Hey all great info here, but what do you use and how's it working for you?
CatMan

Postby Doral » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:36 am

I work for a janitorial supply company here in the Midwest.
We sell a product called Varley Sanitizer, food grade safe.
You can dilute it ¼ oz. per gallon for sanitizing table top, food prep areas, and a last rinse in washing dishes. Does not require a rinse.
Here is a description of it:
Quaternary Ammonium Sanitizer, No-Rinse
Sanitizer
E.P.A. Registered at 1:512 (1/4 oz.)
Odorless. Food Grade Sanitizer. Dilution 1:512.
1Gallon

At a ¼ oz. per gallon, I think I will try this, fill the cartridge up with the Sanitizer
un-diluted.

It’s doesn’t have any kind of smell, but if it’s safe enough to use around humans, it should be safe around our cats.
If you would like more information on this product you can leave me an message.
Doral
New User

Postby CatMan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:44 am

Hey Doral,
That sounds like a great find! Please report back and let us know how it works.
CatMan

Postby Still2cats2many » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Just for reference, I have been using Petzyme as a replacement solution for several months with no noticeable decomposition of the granules. These things may be biodegradable, but nobody ever mentions the time frame that it takes them to dissolve. Biodegradable could mean 50 years. I am only on my second, maybe third box of granules in two years.
Still2cats2many
Litterbox Guru

Next

Return to CatGenie