How do I install CG in basement?

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

How do I install CG in basement?

Postby sississippi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:46 pm

I just received my Cat Genie and need to install it in my basement, where I currently have the litter box (under the stairs). Here's the problem: even though I have my washer and dryer in the basement, I have a septic system and use a check valve to raise the washer water to the septic line and consequently out of the house into the drain field. There is no stand pipe for the washer. I also do not have a utility sink, but if that's what it would take, I would invest in one. How can my CG be installed? Should I call a plumber or will he laugh at me??
sississippi
New User

Re: How do I install CG in basement?

Postby xyxoxy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Sounds like you definitely need to ask a plumber.

If you were ever to add a bathroom etc into your basement you would use a sewage pump that would pump up into your septic system or into a holding tank and THEN into your septic system.

Without some sort of sewage pump or access to a drain pipe that FEEDS into a sewage pump you may be left with a choice to return the CG or move it upstairs. A utility sink would have the same drainage problem. You could potentially feed it into a sump pump (if you have one) but if that drains outside and not into your septic system then you may not want the smelly CG waste pouring into your yard.
- Mickey and Wrecks!
xyxoxy
Valued Contributor

Postby sississippi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:44 am

Would a small pump such as a 1/16 hp installed between the CG and the waste pipe do the trick?
sississippi
New User

Postby Hazmat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:13 pm

sississippi wrote:Would a small pump such as a 1/16 hp installed between the CG and the waste pipe do the trick?

I don't think so. I have been looking at this post for a few days and do not seem to be able to think of a soulution.

How high is your washing machine pumping? can you take pictures?
the CatGenie grindes up the cat poop and pumps it up to about the hight of a washing machine standpipe at best.

Depending upon the hight of where you need to pump up to the only thing I can think of is,

Can you put the CatGenie on a table that is within a few feet (perhaps) 3 or 4 feet to where you don't need to use a check valve. Cats can climb and they can climp up if you can mount the CatGenie up at a hight that y9ou can clean it onece or twice a year. Even so you micht want to be able or just scoop the poop if you can get liguid to pump high enough. That is all I can think of for your situation since as already stated a sewage pump would be needed.
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru

Postby catperson1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 pm

The cat genie does pump out the waste and it's capable of pumping up to some degree (I think a lot of washer standpipes are installed at chest height and if the catgenie is on the floor then already it's pumping up at least 4 or 5 feet. I'm not sure if it's documented anywhere, but it's conceivable that it could pump up even 6 or 7 feet on it's own. A call to Petnovations would probably confirm how high it can pump on it's own. Then, depending on how high it can pump you might be able to do as hazmat suggested and put the cat genie a few feet off the floor. I suspect that by raising the cat genie and allowing it to pump as high as possible you'll probably be able to get it to work.
catperson1
New User

Postby xyxoxy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm

I have not tested it's limits but my CG is on the floor and pumps up at least 3 feet to my standpipe.
I wasn't very hopeful about relying on it to pump the 8 plus feet of a normal ceiling height but the idea of raising it off the floor and reducing the height you need to pump might be worth exploring. You may want to aim slightly higher than the washing machine drain (above the check valve of course) and slightly slope down to it... that may help keep it from draining back into the CG.

Again I think the best answer is some sort of holding tank with an ejector pump but if you can get a reliable solution without going to that extent all the better.
- Mickey and Wrecks!
xyxoxy
Valued Contributor

Postby Hazmat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:58 pm

I think that you are back to calling a plumber, but only one that you trust.
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru

Postby sississippi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to consider my question and post a reply. My roommate spent a good part of Monday on the phone with plumbers. So far, not one licensed plumber in Sussex County, Delaware will touch a CG installation of this kind.
They say
1. It does not meet code.
2. It would add another EDU (toilet?) to my house.
3. It would cost about $4 to $5 K to add an additional septic line and pump!
4. It's gravity only; put it upstairs ( I don't know if they understand that it does have a pump.)
5. I'm a crazy cat lady (OK, OK, they did not say that, only thought it!)

I don't want to put it upstairs. The only place for it would be the upstairs guest bathroom which is on a landing overlooking the living room (can you say wafting baked poop smell coming down the stairs?) I've lived before with a litter box in a bathroom. I won't go back to that. Been there, done that. Have the T-shirt. The other two bathrooms are in my bedroom suite and my roommate's. I'm sure he'd LOVE to have it in his bathroom!

I've considered the possibility of installing CG on a table on the wall opposite the washer, where the septic drain pipe on its gravity slope is much lower than at the washer. This would give the CG internal pump a much shorter run to the septic pipe. I could install an electrical outlet and run a cold water line easily, but how can one tap into the septic "Charlotte" pipe? If I could do that, there would be no chance of back :lol: flow to the washer or anything. The liquid waste from CG would just keep flowing downhill to the septic tank. I don't care if it is up to code. I built the house and the only way I'm leaving is feet first. Let my estate worry about a cat poop machine.

Gee, I feel better after that mini-rant. I'll post again to let everyone know what I've decided to do: pack it up and mail it back or defy all those blasted plumbers and come up with a solution.
sississippi
New User

Postby Hazmat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:16 pm

sississippi wrote:Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to consider my question and post a reply. My roommate spent a good part of Monday on the phone with plumbers. So far, not one licensed plumber in Sussex County, Delaware will touch a CG installation of this kind.
They say
1. It does not meet code.
2. It would add another EDU (toilet?) to my house.
3. It would cost about $4 to $5 K to add an additional septic line and pump!
4. It's gravity only; put it upstairs ( I don't know if they understand that it does have a pump.)
5. I'm a crazy cat lady (OK, OK, they did not say that, only thought it!)

I don't want to put it upstairs. The only place for it would be the upstairs guest bathroom which is on a landing overlooking the living room (can you say wafting baked poop smell coming down the stairs?) I've lived before with a litter box in a bathroom. I won't go back to that. Been there, done that. Have the T-shirt. The other two bathrooms are in my bedroom suite and my roommate's. I'm sure he'd LOVE to have it in his bathroom!

I've considered the possibility of installing CG on a table on the wall opposite the washer, where the septic drain pipe on its gravity slope is much lower than at the washer. This would give the CG internal pump a much shorter run to the septic pipe. I could install an electrical outlet and run a cold water line easily, but how can one tap into the septic "Charlotte" pipe? If I could do that, there would be no chance of back :lol: flow to the washer or anything. The liquid waste from CG would just keep flowing downhill to the septic tank. I don't care if it is up to code. I built the house and the only way I'm leaving is feet first. Let my estate worry about a cat poop machine.

Gee, I feel better after that mini-rant. I'll post again to let everyone know what I've decided to do: pack it up and mail it back or defy all those blasted plumbers and come up with a solution.

that entire thing indicates to me that you can install it. Did any plumber or friend come out and actually look?
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru

Postby sississippi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks, Hazmat. What I need is a rogue plumber!
sississippi
New User

Postby sississippi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 pm

p.s. Hazmat, no one has actually come out and looked at the basement, the CG or anything. My roomie just keeps saying it won't work. I hate to give up when I know there is probably a solution.
sississippi
New User

Postby xyxoxy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 pm

Don't give up until AT LEAST one plumber comes out to look.
I suspect the ones on the phone think they know better than you what you are talking about and if they would take the trouble to actually come out and look they may find it an easy project. I wouldn't even give them too many details over the phone... just tell them you can't describe it over the phone and you just want a free on-site estimate to tap into an existing drain.

With your latest update it sounds like something you may be able to do yourself.
I'm not sure what a "Charlotte" pipe is other than the name of a pipe manufacturer but if your drain is PVC then there is certainly a way to saw into it and glue in an adapter to run the CG hose into. I believe you could work from one of the older posts here that added some PVC fittings to tie into a sink drain. Since you said you can tie in below the washer drain that resolves what would be one of my biggest concerns (back flow to the washer). And if you can position the CG so that it only has to pump 3-4 feet up into the drain that would resolve the other concerns (backflow to the CG). Just be sure to use a "Y" of some sort that will also prevent the washer water from draining into the CG.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When you have a working solution please post photos for us.
- Mickey and Wrecks!
xyxoxy
Valued Contributor

Postby sississippi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:34 am

xyxoxy: Thanks for the reply. The drain pipe is PVC and it says "Charlotte". I thought that was a generic descriptive name. I'll see if I can get a live plumber to come over. The first one I called wanted over $80 to just appear.
sississippi
New User

Postby Mad, Ol' Cat Lady » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Can you possibly take pictures and post them so we can see exactly your set up? My husband is insane at figuring out how to make weird stuff work (read he cut into our tub drain piping and came up with a way to add the CG waste hose in so we could use our second CG in a bathroom that wouldn't have had a spot for it otherwise). It is hard to picture your set up though and come up with a good solution without seeing it.

Dawn :)
Mad, Ol' Cat Lady
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby sississippi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Photos on the way!
sississippi
New User

Next

Return to CatGenie