Can This Be Used With A Septic System?

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

Can This Be Used With A Septic System?

Postby F4jock » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:03 am

I've read that the Genie liquefies and separates solid waste. If true I’m assuming that there would be negligible undissolvable solids in the flushed liquid and that it would therefore be “septic safe”.

I’ve sent an e-mail to the company requesting their input but thought I’d see if anyone here has had practical experience with same.

Thanks!
F4jock
New User

Re: Can This Be Used With A Septic System?

Postby Hazmat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 am

As long as you use the regular CatGenie litter it works fine. The CatGenie litter is bio degradable. If you where to switch to some off brand litter then that could cause problems. As far as the waste goes poop is poop and the septic tank will handle it without issue.

I have a septic system and after a year the CatGenie has not caused any problem.
Hazmat
Litterbox Guru

Postby PetLover24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 am

Yeah i think they even say that its ok for septic on the main site, but who knows Ive been researching all over the place.
the granules are bio degradable so it should be fine.
PetLover24
New User

Postby jakobe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:23 am

absolutely

mine (2) categenies are connected directly to my septic tank
have been for almost 2 years.
jakobe
Valued Contributor

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Sat May 03, 2008 10:02 am

Edit - I am wrong about the below, CatGenie corrected me.

I would say no, the CatGenie should not drain into a septic system.

It uses an anti bacterial agent in the Sani Solution. (I am not 100% certain, but I believe it's a "Quat" disinfectant.)

Septic systems rely on organic waste degrading anaerobic bacteria to work properly. The Sani Solution will harm the waste degrading bacteria population inside your septic tank.
Last edited by Pelvis Popcan on Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru

Postby morris » Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Good point, but wouldn't it take more than what CG uses to affect the Quats? In any case an extra dose of Quats may fix that problem. Just a guess.

morris
morris
Valued Contributor

Postby CatGenie » Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 am

The SaniSoltuion is COMPLETELY septic safe. The antimicrobial in the SaniSolution is mixed with water and we measure the amount using a medical dosage pump to insure the mixture of SaniSolution and water target the lower end of the ppm spectrum needed to kill bacteria (not the lowest but lower end). Once the unit dumps the waste into the septic system, (combined with the water that has no SaniSolution during the cleaning of the CatGenie) and of course the water in the septic system already, it becomes essentially inert.

The use of a CatGenie or several CatGenies is not going to cause any issues. If you want to provide advise on septic systems and problems, the best advise is to remind people to have their septic systems pumped every few years whether they have a CatGenie or not.
CatGenie
CatGenie Vendor Representative

Postby Pelvis Popcan » Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 am

I stand corrected.
Pelvis Popcan
Litterbox Guru

Return to CatGenie