Warranty information

The CatGenie is the only self-cleaning box on the market. An evolution of the LitterFree design, it connects to your household plumbing.

Warranty information

Postby CatGenie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Our Customer Support has been asked a few questions regarding the CatGenie warranty and since there was some confusion I thought I would post here.

1. Warranty begins from date of purchase. It is always best to register the waranty/ serial number at CatGenie. http://www.catgenie.com/warranty/login/

2. Keep your reciept if you did not buy the unit from PetNovations in order to validate purchase date.

3. Warranty is not transferable. "PetNovations, Inc. warrants this product and all parts thereof, except as set forth below ONLY TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER AT RETAIL to be FREE FROM DEFECTIVE MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP...."

We are and will remain very understanding with people if they lose reciepts etc. However, as time goes on and more and more people call with stories it will become harder to maintain this. This is not any different than any other warranty on other products. This is also to protect you the consumer and give you a little pause before purchasing from a vendor that does not stand by the product and, or sells used or reconditioned units that we cannot vouch for the way they were used (we curently do not sell reconditioned units).
CatGenie
CatGenie Vendor Representative

Re: Warranty information

Postby TigGlo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:04 pm

CatGenie wrote:3. Warranty is not transferable. "PetNovations, Inc. warrants this product and all parts thereof, except as set forth below ONLY TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER AT RETAIL to be FREE FROM DEFECTIVE MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP...."

I'm curious as to what the reasons are behind the above clause? Why should it matter to Petnovations if the CG has been owned by more than 1 person, it should get 2 years of warranty, period. You don't see limitations like that in other product warranties, like cars, consumer electronics, etc...

What if I buy one direct from CG to give as a gift; are they not the "original purchaser" and thus not entitled to warranty service?

It's not like you'll be able to enforce that clause if you start selling the CG at retail outlets, the original purchaser just has to pass on the receipt to whoever buys it.
Tigger: 2 year old Male Brown Tabby
Gloria: 5-6 year old Female Dilute Tortie
TigGlo
Valued Contributor

Postby CatGenie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Tiglo, this is an appliance and appliance warranties are not usually transferable to a second owner so if you're buying secondhand (or selling), keep it in mind. And when you get a gift like this, you usually get a gift receipt or the person gives you the receipt in case it does not fit or the cats do not like it etc. they will need to return it to the store us to get a refund.
CatGenie

Postby TigGlo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:44 pm

CatGenie wrote:Tiglo, this is an appliance and appliance warranties are not usually transferable to a second owner so if you're buying secondhand (or selling), keep it in mind. And when you get a gift like this, you usually get a gift receipt or the person gives you the receipt in case it does not fit or the cats do not like it etc. they will need to return it to the store us to get a refund.

Your comment about appliances got me curious, so I read the warranties for the new kitchen appliances I bought a while ago. I read all 5 warranties, not one of them mentioned anything about being covered only for the original owner. (They're all whirlpool appliances)

And, I'm not clear on your response to the gift scenario. If I buy one as a gift, and give the receipt to the recipient of the gift, they can return it if it won't fit or their cats won't use it. What if they actually like it, and keep it? Then there's a failure within the 2 years? Covered or not?

Then there's the situation that people could have: We buy a CG, and it works out well for us for the first 90 days. Then it malfunctions repeatedly, and as a result the cats stop using it. Or, for any other reason, like getting new cats that won't use it, or moving, and no place to connect it in the new house. So, we can't sell it for anywhere near what we paid because the new buyer gets no warranty, and we can't return it because it's past 90 days? Not to mention the fact that if it isn't being used, you don't get revenue from supplies.
TigGlo
Valued Contributor

Re: Warranty information

Postby LadyJai » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:40 pm

CatGenie wrote:Our Customer Support has been asked a few questions regarding the CatGenie warranty and since there was some confusion I thought I would post here.

1. Warranty begins from date of purchase. It is always best to register the waranty/ serial number at CatGenie. http://www.catgenie.com/warranty/login/

What happens when I registered my original unit with its serial number, and then I've since received 4 different units each bearing different serial numbers....what happens? Can I register each unit? Do I get a new 2 year warrenty on the new serial number? I believe I should since it's a new piece of hardware. If not, then it just cuts into my warrenty time and I do not receive a full warrenty on all parts. Or do I wait until the unit is fixed before I re-register? What happens if 2 years are up from the time I've purchased and I still do not have a working unit? This is where my confusion lies with the warrenty.
LadyJai
New User

Postby llawsonpta » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:55 am

I never registered my original unit, but when I called in to CS, they knew my name, address and everything. I assume they registered it for me. Is it too late to register it? Also, I have received a new cpu and base unit since my original also....do I need to register them?

Lynette
llawsonpta
Valued Contributor

Postby spaceshare » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:44 am

Or, for any other reason, like getting new cats that won't use it, or moving, and no place to connect it in the new house. So, we can't sell it for anywhere near what we paid because the new buyer gets no warranty, and we can't return it because it's past 90 days? Not to mention the fact that if it isn't being used, you don't get revenue from supplies.

I know, I don't have a Catgenie so I probably should get my behind back to the LR forum :? BUT... my goodness, if I bought a washing machine and then moved, could I send it back after the warranty period because it doesn't work in my new house??? If I had an older child and bought them a bike, and they left home, and I gave the bike to my younger child and they didn't like it, could I send it back... Or, if I bought a new computer printer and put it in the closet... Well, you get the picture. Why would we expect the CG producers to bend over backwards to fit all of our little scenarios? They were brave enough to take on this project called the Catgenie... That's probably brave enough! :)
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby TigGlo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:30 am

spaceshare wrote:I know, I don't have a Catgenie so I probably should get my behind back to the LR forum :? BUT... my goodness, if I bought a washing machine and then moved, could I send it back after the warranty period because it doesn't work in my new house??? If I had an older child and bought them a bike, and they left home, and I gave the bike to my younger child and they didn't like it, could I send it back... Or, if I bought a new computer printer and put it in the closet... Well, you get the picture. Why would we expect the CG producers to bend over backwards to fit all of our little scenarios? They were brave enough to take on this project called the Catgenie... That's probably brave enough! :)

No, but if you bought a washing machine with a 1 year warranty, and you moved after 6 months and left the machine there for the new buyers to use, shouldn't they get the remainder of the 1 year warranty? Or you need a larger capacity washer, so you sell your 6 month old one. Again, the buyer should (and does, according to the written warranty on my whirlpool) get the remainder of the 1 year warranty.

I never said anything about sending it back, CatGenie did. He said if someone buys one as a gift, and gives it to another with the receipt, that person can return it if it won't fit/cats won't use it, etc.. What I asked (and never got an answer) is if the person who receives it as a gift does keep it, is he entitled to the same 2 year warranty as everyone else? In other words, if it breaks, will he/she be able to call support and get parts replaced?

If you buy a catgenie, and keep it for 6 months because you're happy with it, then you get a new cat that absolutely refuses to use it, or you move and there is no place in the new house to connect it, you don't think you should be able to sell it to someone else and they should get the remainder of the 2 year warranty? Nobody said anything about returning it after the 90 days as advertised by CG.

In reality what would probably happen in that situation is the owner would put it up on eBay, say it was 6 months old with a 2 year warranty because they didn't read/remember the part about it not being transferable. Then someone buys it, and 6 months later something breaks and they call CG to claim a repair under warranty. If CG denies the warranty, they get bashed all over the net by the buyer, and if the CG just gets tossed in a closet, they don't sell supplies to anyone for that unit.

Seems to me it's in PetNovations best interest to keep each CG that's been sold working daily in someone's home and consuming supplies, even if the original buyer sold it because it didn't meet their needs or their needs changed.
TigGlo
Valued Contributor

Postby moethedog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:15 am

Wow, Tiglo, cool out. I’ll tell you what, why don't you start a company and whenever someone wants something their way you have to give it to them no matter what it costs you. No warranty is perfect, they all have catches.

I think this company is very fair and treat their customers with respect. It just seems from your posts, that if they do not agree with the way you need things to be, you become very condescending and without saying it directly you call them stupid. It is what it is. So far they seem to be standing behind the product and doing a great job at customer support. I guess short of sacrificing their children for you they will be letting you down.
moethedog
New User

Postby spaceshare » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Seems to me it's in PetNovations best interest to keep each CG that's been sold working daily in someone's home and consuming supplies, even if the original buyer sold it because it didn't meet their needs or their needs changed.

You may be right about this -- I usually consider only the length of the warranty not whether it will transfer to a new owner... so I haven't thought much about this topic. Thanks for clarifying...

CatGenie is new.. and the company as well, perhaps. They need some time to iron out more bugs, get those litter box covers made, etc., etc. I am sure as the product gets out there and the bugs are ironed out, they will resolve warranty issues as well.
Kitties: Zen & Ariel. Litter Box: Litter Robot. Remembering Nuba, Ceba, and Yang Su Ling.
spaceshare
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby CatGenie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:12 pm

FYI you need rules and parameters for warranties. Of course we want people using the box and buying the solution etc. but we also need to have rules too.

People have bad experiences buying used things and we cannot be responsible for that. Do you think we make so much off of supplies that we should just say, hey who cares about the warranty this guy bought the unit on ebay it was messed up and to fix it will cost us $145 including shipping and if they buy supplies for the next couple of years we will break even.

Now I am using a tough example but guess what, this happens ALL OF THE TIME! We have had over 20 instances of this already.

This will not change and there will be times we make exceptions to rules but we need to have rules to make the exception when it is appropriate. So you could give me scenario after scenario and I am not going to sit here and say yes for this and no for that.

This is my last post on the subject. If you have a specific issue that pertains to you and your CatGenie warranty, call customer support and they will be glad to help.
CatGenie

Postby SleepyCat » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Why all the hate against tiglo? He/she does have a valid point; it's pretty cheesy to deny warranty coverage for something that would otherwise be covered just cause it was sold to someone else. I didn't read the warranty policy that carefully before I bought, but now I wish I had. Since my genie is experincing cloggs too, like others, I guess I have to return it if it can't be 100% fixed before my return period ends, since I can't sell it to someone else with a warranty.
SleepyCat
New User

Return to CatGenie